Research Guide: Multnomah County Poor Farm Records >> Find records in admissions register
How To: Find records in the Multnomah County Poor Farm admissions register
If you know the name of an individual who may have a record in the admissions register, you can use the index to find the record.
Find the Volume # and Page # for the individual
1. Click on the letter below that corresponds to the first letter of the individual’s surname – the index for that letter will open. Example: To find records for J.H. Page, click on the link for P.
2. Locate the individual’s name in the index.
Depending on the application you are using to view the index, you may be able to find the name quickly by using its search functionality. Select CTRL + F and enter the individual’s last name in the search box that appears.
3. Make a note of the Book # and Page #. (Note: Book # is the same as Volume #.)
For the example, the Volume # is 4 and the Page # is 954.
Find the record for the individual
1. From the list below, click on the link to the Volume number you located in the index. This will take you to the digital archives page for that Volume.
2. Click on the link to the folder that contains the Single pages.
The example shown below is for Volume is 4.
3. In the search box to “Search within…” the Folder, enter the Page # from the index. In the example, the page # was 954. You may need to enter a leading zero.
4. Click on the “Folder” button to activate the search. The relevant page will appear in the search results.
5. Click on the link to the page to view its content.
6. Locate the record on the page.